Looking Back, Looking Forward

Welcome to the turn of the year once again and equally, I cannot believe how quickly time has passed. This lovely picture of winter trees is reflected in the West Dean Gardens glasshouses.
I started the year with a photoshoot for Textile Landscape and by the end of the year it was released for circulation (in September) and sent for reprint on the day of its release.
All four of my publications have been reprinted this year so I would like to say a BIG THANKYOU to everyone who has contributed to and supported my writing including the Batsford editorial team and Jacqui Hurst for her beautiful photography. Just through today, a gift of a review by Sam Packer.
By kind permission of Jacqui Hurst 
This publication has featured throughout the year culminating in a guest gallery Tea Flora Tales and Textile Landscape  at the Knitting and Stitching Shows in the Autumn. The gallery, beautifully designed by the Upper Street Events proved popular with visitors engaging with the work commenting on the joy they felt in being in the space. I was equally thrilled to be in a video interview with Arnold's AtticA selection of this work with other pieces will be shown at Rochester Art Gallery in the Spring.
The quote below is from an interview with Helen Bowen in Sewing World Magazine in March is very apt for the last year, The creative process has been part of both a physical journey and 'mental footpath' for me this year. It is often commented on that 'I get around a lot' and will admit, it is sometimes a juggling act (more down to luck than 'time management) at times that I have managed to be where I should be. 
By the end of March I was back in Australia again under the kind invitation of Fibre Arts Australia and am in early discussions to return in 2020. I even ran a session in the bush and created a pen from a kangaroo bone and a tin to demonstrate with on location.
Images compliments of Tara Axford and Go Create New England 
Touched base for a few days before exhibiting as guest artist at Nadelwelt in May. This major European Textile Festival saw the first showing of a few of my smaller landscape works as well as Tea Flora Tales.
Heads down to work on new pieces and complete 'Trees' for my joint exhibition 'Wild' with Art Textiles Made in Britain at the Festival of Quilts. The exhibition tours in 2019 starting at the Minories in Colchester, (Trees was also shown at the World of Threads exhibition, Ontario in the winter.)
Over the summer I fitted in quick visits to France as well as a Summer School at West Dean (back next summer) followed by my first trip to Copenhagen to see friend (and workshops on the side)
Dee Priest work in progress, the backdrop of the French Alps at the Alpine Experience
Impressions of Mallety at Crafty Retreats

Views of Copenhagen Harbour
The wonderful and varied contributions from many people all over the world was a humbling experience as part of the contribution to Tea Flora Tales. Over £450 was raised at the Knitting and Stitching Shows. With various one off donations to my Just Giving page (now closed) close to £900 has been raised through various exhibitions over the last couple of years. You can continue to support and donate directly to Plantlife
Finally, to end the year. I am thrilled to be interviewed in WOWbook 3 by the wonderful Sam Packer. I have a few copies for sale  and you can also buy direct at D4Daisybooks for £25 plus postage.

Well that's my year. Its not been all work. Been to see a few shows including the Anni Albers at the Tate Modern and Fashioned by Nature at the Victoria and Albert Museum which close late January. Off to Norfolk for the New Year and a walk in the woods.

Wishing you all the best.

Comments

Popular Posts