The Nature of Fabric:The Fabric of Nature

Whilst the heat is on I have been escaping in the shade of the garden and the cool of my shed gardening and developing ideas for community and teaching projects.

I am delighted to have been invited to take part in the Nature Connects programme, Medway to deliver a series of textile workshops 'The Fabric of Nature'  with artist Paramjot Kaur. This project is a partnership between We Live Here, Medway Diversity  Forum and Rochester Cathedral   

Workshops are free and take place 11, 18 and 25th September. Venue to be confirmed. Transport and refreshments will be provided (location to be confirmed)

Please contact organisor Tim Harrison to register your interest and reserve your place.


I enjoyed a little time in the garden sketching in the shade. I am not sure how long it will stay green in the heat. If you are interested in developing a creative sketchbook  you can draw with me once a month via 12 x live Zoom sessions (they are also recorded). Hosted by the wonderful team at Crafty Monkies you will discover how the most ordinary things can inspire extraordinary creative work!
No specialist equipment or prior experience needed: just curiosity, a sketchbook and a willingness to look again!...
 
£12.50 per session. Further details here


I am also delighted to be taking part in WHERE IS THE LOVE CLUB which I mentioned in my last blog. The project culminates in one huge quilt to be featured at the Festival of Quilts 2027. Please contact Crafty Monkies,  for more information.

Come and make something beautiful together...
 

I have recently been working on a two-part series of  workshops under the invitation of Artiq Artist Workshops and Link: LGBTQ+ Insurance Network which a were described  as: 'The vibe is inclusive, intuitive, and inspiring. As well as just fun and relaxing.'. It was a good way to escape the heat of the streets of London and get involved. Everybody was so focussed and involved you could almost feel the collective blood pressure dropping in that room as we concentrated on our pieces.
 


Engaging with art and creativity directly lowers stress hormones like cortisol while boosting dopamine and serotonin. Sensory engagement and working in companionship helps regulate the nervous system. A positive non-verbal tool to  ease symptoms of anxiety and depression. It is can be a great deal of fun.

It was a two way process. Engaging with other people through creative work, whether on-line, or the rare opportunities I get to work in place, boosts my sense of purpose, positive engagement and well being as well.


 

Talking of well-being, I facilitate an unpaid carers free creative workshops ‘Draw Together’ once a month at the new Creative Hub in Maidstone. Date are scheduled for the second Tuesday afternoon of each month from 14.00-16.00. Formerly co-ordinated by the charity Involve I am currently waiting for further details of who will be taking over the future support of this project for unpaid carers in Maidstone area so people can register their interest. Feel free to come to our next session of Tuesday 11 August or contact me via my contacts page.

 

 


Comments

Popular Posts