A traveller 'stilled' Gypsy Maker 4 Conference Wed 30th Sept

This last few months has seen this traveller 'stilled' yet still taking part in the world. My work has travelled to more places both virtually, or to a gallery than I have this year. It is ironic, given that specially commissioned pieces for Places, Spaces, Traces, is centred around travelling people. The exhibition Gypsy Maker 4 by the Romani and Cultural Arts Company launched at Newport in February 2020 and since closure at the beginning of the pandemic has been touring virtually. The exhibition supported by Arts Council Walesalso features the work of Dan Turner is hosting an evening of discussions in association with g39 in Cardiff takes place Thursday 30th September 6-8pm. Tickets for this free virtual event are available here

Cas Holmes
Dan Turner

Further images of the exhibition and details of all artworks here. 

We live in interesting creative times. I have running a limited amount of re-scheduled courses in studio spaces and on-line including art classes with Kent Adult Education. 

I return to wonderful West Dean College for a special Winter School December 6-11 December. 

By enlisting 'found objects' from personal collections and/or those found at West Dean, we will explore creative journals and sketchbooks as a starting point for mixed media/textile-based work. A series of creative exercises exploring collage, colour and cloth will add personal expression and meaning to your work.

There are also limited spaces on my courses with Hope and Elvis from 10th October. Further details on my website under workshops.

We have all being developing new skills with technology to engage with creative learning through virtual means. Over the last few months I have discovered:

  • I can shoot my own short videos with limited equipment
  • Set up for live interactive learning using all kinds 'Heath Robinson' props for each situation from starting off with just my phone and a tablet to using plant pots and masking of windows as I adapted to changing needs of my small space and variable light conditions.
  • People are generous, kind and have accepted and enjoyed this substitute interaction for classroom based learning as we have all grown in confidence operating in this virtual world.
  • Taking on different roles from sharing in hosted discussion groups for exhibitions and projects, which are now on-line,  to running a few be-spoke projects and mentoring students on courses.
  • Recognised I cannot do it all. I will never stop loving the interaction with others as part of the learning experience because it also feed my creativity I also find it more tiring so undertake less. 
I am however, cycling more and enjoying Mote Park as Autumn approaches 









Comments

Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular Posts