Looking Back, Looking Forward

Janus is the god of beginnings, gates, transitions, time, duality, doorways, passages, and endings. Depicted as having two faces, since he looks to the future and to the past. I always see this time of the year as both a time of reflection and of beginnings. Shogatsu, the Japanese New Year, becomes the time to settle your debts, clean house and mark time with friends as you face the new. With that in mind, tax return done, family to be visited but the house cleaning can wait until the Spring!
The Snowdrop is the adopted flower for January so entirely appropriate to share with you all. This features in Stitch Stories and one of the first meeting I have in the New Year is discuss photographs for my next book which is due out by the end of 2018.

Snowdrops were one of my father's favourite flowers. I always enjoy seeing them poke their heads up...for some this year, through the Snow but not a great deal here in the South East so far. My work over the last year has seen me travelling round most of Europe. I was delighted to be one of the first exhibitors at the Farnham Pottery early in the year and was able to trial a new installation 'Trees' at this amazing old pottery now turned artspace and café. This also supported the Canine Partners charity with a follow up exhibition at the Ox Market in Chichester.

I ran around a lot of Europe this year with short courses from the Netherlands, Germany and France as well is in the UK. Much of my work has recently included conservation and community linked projects with the regional Kent and Surrey Wildlife Trusts and with the Caring Hands project in the Medway towns.
Student drawing The Alpine Experience Les Carroz 2017. Delighted to be back end June 2018.
Note-Tins, Caring Hands project, Chatham.
I was involved with several articles on my work during the year ands delighted to featured in an article in Somerset Studio Magazine early in 2017. The front page features the installation Tea Flora Tales which will be exhibited at Nadelwelt in May (further news on subsequent showings to follow)


Loved this insightful article by the guys at Textileartist in the latter part of the year into my working practice. However, the interview which certainly got me at my most 'direct' is the Podcast by Stitchery Stories.How did we get onto Star Trek, fairground organs, and creativity vs linear thinking?

As we move into 2018 I am delighted to be back with Fibre Arts Australia and WRAPT in Queensland in March and April. My workshops filled very quickly but have recently added Go Create New England to the schedule.  I am also teaching in France and on the Summer School at West Dean.
Art Textiles Made in Britain 'Concealed' exhibition continues at Maidstone Museum and Art Gallery until 10th February. A little look at Unfolding Landscapes in position.
(See updates on workshops and exhibitions links on this blog for more information.)

I continue to enjoy the challenges these set for me and the opportunity to meet with new ideas, people and makers as well as re-affirm existing professional friendships. Thankyou to all who continue to support my work and bless you all with as many new and exciting things you wish for and the health of your family and friends.


travel takes place in the mind as much as across land or even continents.


Wishing you all the best for 2018 













Comments

Popular Posts