Concealed and Revealed

As we enter mid-winter the bare bones of the trees and landscape are revealed to us.
Many of the artists who are currently exhibiting as part of Art Textiles Made in Britain share an equal fascination for the landscape in addition to other subjects as part of their current exhibition Concealed currently on show at Maidstone Museum and Art Gallery.
Louise Baldwin

Rosie James

Stephanie Redfern

Cas Holmes

Hilary Beattie
The exhibition opens on Saturday 9 December and closes February 10th. A workshop will also be held by Cas Holmes on the closing day. Some of the artists will be there on Saturday 16th December from 1-4pm if you would like to pop in and say hello.

As the year closes I am pleased to announce I handed in my copy to Batsford for my next book which connects cloth to the landscape. I have a photograph planning meeting early in January and will update with news as more details are confirmed.

I am also planning new works for exhibition in 2018 including a guest exhibition at  Nadel-welt in Germany with Common-Land and the global collaboration Tea-Flora-Tales (pictured below at the European Patchwork Meeting in 2014).
 I also had a rare day out and went to the Victoria and Albert Museum to visit The Women's Hour Craft Prize. Well worth a visit if a little tucked away. Loved this dancing shadow on the wall in the collections as I walked through.
A bonus was this fabulous photographic art exhibition Into the Woods. Photography was my secondary subject at art college. I was glad I do not need to carry around Hasellblads or full plate camera's today
 Especially liked Korean artist Bae Bien's Pine Trees
 and Ansel Adams, Aspens, Northern New Mexico, 1958
Yosemite Valley, to me, is always a sunrise, a glitter of green and golden wonder in a vast edifice of stone and space. I know of no sculpture, painting or music that exceeds the compelling spiritual command of the soaring shape of granite cliff and dome, of patina of light on rock and forest, and of the thunder and whispering of the falling, flowing waters. At first the colossal aspect may dominate; then we perceive and respond to the delicate and persuasive complex of nature.
— Ansel Adams, The Portfolios Of Ansel Adams





Comments

Popular Posts